Current trends in the global energy system

Like it or not, the world of energy is not the same as it was just a few decades ago. There have been more changes in recent years than in the entire history of the global energy sector. But what are the reasons for such changes, sometimes quite drastic? Why do they appear? And what are the consequences? We should always read reviews about energy companies.

Nothing happens by chance in the world, there is always a reason. This case is no exception, we know where the root of the problem lies and why what is happening is so important: the development of society has led to an increase in energy consumption associated with it. Progress and well-being, according to the general understanding, depend to a large extent on the consumption of large amounts of energy used directly or indirectly to meet our needs.

What is happening in the energy market?

According to US gas companies, by the end of 2010, hydrocarbons came from 80% of the world’s total energy supply, of which a third came from oil, a quarter from coal, and more than a fifth from natural gas. The other 20% corresponded to nuclear energy (6%) and renewable energy (13%).

In 2014, renewable energy generated 19.2% of global energy consumption. Which, with the continuous increase of capacity and production, became at the end of 2015, 23.7% of global electricity production from alternative energy.

This increase is linked to a progressive social awareness of these solutions, to policies to promote an increasing number of states, to more favorable financing due to lower interest rates, to greater legal certainty in certain markets, to the tightening of environmental standards and a higher demand for energy that has been covered to a significant extent by renewable energy at the expense of fossil fuels, despite very favorable oil prices.

Transport sector

Industry and market trends:

  • Continuous increase in biomass energy, despite constant challenges.
  • Stable growth of geothermal energy hampered by low fossil fuel costs and high costs of new developments.
  • Hydraulics Energy is conditioned by the increase in environmental impact and orographic constraints when building new reservoirs.
  • The development of ocean energy will continue in current tidal energy technologies.
  • Greater use in developing regions of solar thermal energy; the increasing importance of thermal energy storage.
  • Record implementation and rapid expansion of photovoltaic solar energy in new markets.
  • Continuous deceleration of solar thermal heating and cooling in China and Europe, but more deployment in large-scale projects.
  • Wind energy is expected to be the most important in establishing a new global energy system.
  • Positive trends on the Distributed Renewable Energy market
  • Increasing investment flows in renewable energy in developing and developing countries.
  • Better awareness of energy efficiency, investment, policies, and targets.

All the exposed trends can be considered positive. There is a new consciousness that will lead to the transition around the world from traditional energies to new energies that, no doubt, have already demonstrated their possibilities and advantages. International public opinion is oriented towards these solutions, which are the hope to address the great challenge posed by overcoming the energy and environmental problem that is looming over humanity.

You May Also Like

More From Author