You may have missed it because they are quite small creatures that are nocturnal, so you may not see them; or you may have seen just one little mouse and thought oh well, it’s only one. However, mice reproduce rapidly and just two mice can start a home invasion incredibly quickly. This will leave you with a serious mice infestation problem that will need to be dealt with fast.
But as the saying goes, prevention is better than cure. Therefore, it’s much better to take action now and proof your property against a mice infestation before they enter your home or business premises and cause mayhem.
Warning Signs Of A Mice Infestation
If you think you may have mice in your home or at your business premises, there are a number of warning signs to look out for which will indicate you have a mice problem:
- Mouse Droppings – one of the most obvious signs is small black, pellets that are shaped like a piece of rice. You are likely to find them along walls and skirting boards, near holes, in cupboards or in around gaps in floorboards. They give off a musty smell, as does mouse urine so if you sense a strange smell, it’s a good sign you could have a mice infestation.
- Chew Marks – mice teeth are sharp and they will chew all sorts of materials, including wood, paper and plastic, often in search of food.
- Nests – they will build nests for breeding – another reason why they chew – and you’re likely to find their nests in dark, secluded areas where they are unlikely to be disturbed.
- Strange Noises – mice try to be quiet but that doesn’t mean you won’t hear them. If you hear strange scratching noises, it could be their claws on hard surfaces as they scurry around. If they’ve been settled in your property for quite a while, it’s likely they will have grown in confidence so you may even see them come out of their hiding place.
- You Find One! The most obvious sign is that you actually find a mouse; but beware, this is also an indication that you probably have a rather large family of mice living with you.
Preventative Measures Against A Mice Infestation
As with many pest control measures, prevention is always a better course of action. So, here are our recommended ways to proof your property against a mice infestation.
- Block Entry Points – you’d be amazed at how small a hole or crack a mouse can fit through – 5-6mm is the smallest! So, the first measure is to go round your property carefully to identify and block any possible entry points, such as holes or cracks, disused pipes, and even gaps under doors. It may be a simple case of putting something in front of the hole/gap/crack if it is really small. However, for larger entry points, you will need to make sure they are completely covered. Use draft excluders for door gaps and don’t forget to check your windows to make sure they are sealed tight.
- Cut Off Food Sources – mice are hungry creatures and a great lure is the prospect of nibbling on your food. So, put any dry foods in cupboards in sealed containers – glass, metal or plastic are good – and keep them off the floor, such as on a shelf or in a wall cupboard. This also applies to pet foods that are dry and stored in bags on the floor.
- Always Tidy Up – we know, more housework, but it does mean you are repelling unwanted guests. So, if you’ve left any crumbs on the worktop or, even worse, left them dropped on the floor, tidy it up. Don’t leave any pet food in bowls on the floor either – if you have cats, create a shelf for them or invest in raised food bowls, particularly for dogs. This extends to outside, too. Keep the garden and shed tidy and check any climbing plants for nests.
- Use Preventative Smells – a mouse’s sense of smell is very sensitive so substances that have a very strong odour are a good way to prevent them from entering the property. These include pepper, rosemary, peppermint, lavender, onions, sage and rosemary.
It’s frightening to suddenly find you have a mice infestation in your property but if you do discover a problem, it’s best you call a professional pest control company like Catch It Pest Control, who provide a wide range of pest control services throughout London. They’ll be on hand to eradicate any pests and provide you pest prevention advice too.